Friday, September 23, 2011

Kate and Shopping





Kate is doing better here than I ever thought she would. She seems to be very attached to Chad and I right now but other than that, she seems to be adjusting well. Before we left, I was really worried about her because she was having true panic attacks about moving but we just tried to really reassure her and give her extra attention and she has done ok.
It seems that she has really grown up during the move though. She used to take a nap at least 3 times a week but she has only had one nap in the last month. I still have her have a "quiet time" every day but she just plays happily on her bed for an hour.
Her hair is getting so long and she suddenly seems to tall for all her clothes too. Maybe I just didn't notice it before but she has just gotten so big!
I have decided just to teach her preschool at home so twice a week we are having a little "school time." She already knows all her letters so we are reviewing them and working on writing them correctly. We are also working on learning all the lowercase letters. She has surprised me at how quickly she learns and how well she does. She will for sure be ready for Kindergarten next year!

She and Eli are my little buddies all day while Carter is at school and Daddy is at work. Yesterday they ran errands with me all morning. I am still learning where I should go for certain things. The locals told me about a produce store in Vermont where it is cheaper so we go there for produce. They don't have grocery carts there though and carrying all the food plus Eli really makes my arms burn. I don't dare put him down because he thinks it is so funny to run away and the front of the store is completely open to the outdoors so he immediately heads out there. Anyway, it is never much fun but the food is cheaper so we go there! There is also a bread outlet but I can never find it. The streets are all so twisty and half the time I end up in Vermont or somewhere random. I got a membership at BJs (like Sam's) yesterday and I think that is going to be a great place to shop. It is cheaper and they let you use coupons. I do all the rest of my grocery shopping at a store called Price Chopper. Hi ya!!! Sounds kind of violent doesn't it. It's an ok store but it takes me forever to find anything. I miss Macey's. Sigh.
All the shopping is far away from our house anyway so I try to do it all in one trip to save on gas. There is really not a lot of shopping options here and that is hard for me. I never considered myself a shopper but now I know. I am addicted to retail therapy. I miss just going to Grist Mill or Smith's Marketplace or even just DI. There is nothing here. Seriously, there is WalMart and that is it. There used to be Kohl's and KMart but they got flooded in Irene and won't reopen until Thanksgiving. Thank heavens for online shopping so my kids will have something to wear.

3 comments:

Jordy and Paiger said...

Ha! I remember another certain person who liked to run away from his mommy:) Like Father like Son. hehe. Kate has gotten really big! I love her long hair.

Nicole said...

So fun for you guys! We have a cousin and her family that just moved there. Her husband is going to graduate school. The Laytons. Anyway, I am jealous, I just love the east!

Mark and Jana said...

It sounds like you are doing good. How fun to have school with Kate. I will be doing that with my kids, kind of do thing like that with Addison all the time when I read with her. Love you all!