Monday, September 26, 2011

Weekend Trip to Maine

We took a spontaneous trip to Maine this weekend. I really wanted the kids to see the ocean before winter sets in so we drove to Old Orchard Beach in Maine which is about 2 hrs and 45 min away from us. It was a really quick trip since we left on Sunday in time to make it home for church but we had so much fun!
It was supposed to be a rainy weekend but luckily the weather was perfect. It was cloudy but 80 degrees and the beaches were not crowded at all. I found a little beach apartment for cheap online and it turned out so great! The apartment was just steps away from the beach, had two bedrooms, bathroom, living room, kitchen, and a little sunroom surrounded by windows. It was really just such a fun little trip.

We left right after Carter's soccer game on Saturday morning and had lunch in the car. We arrived at the hotel at about 2:30 and went straight to the beach. The kids had so much fun playing in the surf and digging in the sand. They were ecstatic every time they found a shell or a dead crab. We played for a couple of hours and then ordered pizza to our apartment for lunch. I know it's a sin that we didn't eat lobster but we went for cheap, easy, and kid-friendly. Then we put Eli to bed and played games in the sunroom until bedtime for the other kids.

Carter and Kate just jumped right in and played in the waves. I was getting a little nervous at how unafraid Kate was. She got knocked down a couple of times and Carter did not appreciate the sea water in his mouth but they kept on going.

On Sunday morning, Kate, Carter and I were all up at 6 so we snuck back down to the beach and played while Eli and Daddy were still asleep. I was hoping we could find some better shells and some sand dollars after the tide went back in but we didn't really have much luck. The kids were happy with their little broken shells though. Chad and Eli joined us eventually and Chad got some good pictures of the kids in the morning light. It was so beautiful and peaceful and we all agreed it was the best last-minute decision we ever made.

7 comments:

Melanie said...

I'm so glad that you had a good time! Spontaneous trips seem to be the most memorable a lot of the time. It looks beautiful, especially the pictures of you and the kids. I feel like making a copy of all the pictures you post and carrying them around with me everywhere I go so I always have you with me. It's a poor substitute for the real thing, but it's all I've got!

Karen Ella said...

Your kids are so freakin cute. And, um...who is that stunning, tiny woman with them, eh?! You look GREAT!

Nat said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Maine. So beautiful--hooray for spontaneous Wendi!

Jordy and Paiger said...

So awesome!! Love spontaneous outings. They always turn out great cause there is no time to really think too much about it. I am so jealous of all that surrounds you!! I would love to go to Maine one day....Love ya!

Parrish Family said...

I am SO jealous!! Maine is somewhere I have always wanted to visit. And if I wasn't sold on it before, I am now! ;) I'm glad at least someone I know has visited there. Looks like it was just wonderful! :)

Just Us! said...

Wow! I wish we were there too!! It reminds me of beach combing the beaches of Bodega Bay when I was a child. Love the pictures of the kids exploring. So much fun!!!

Ralphie said...

You are having some amazing experiences Wendi. The pictures are so beautiful.