Sunday, March 18, 2012

Tonsils


Carter had his tonsils out this month. He has been struggling with chronic congestion and snoring which has been getting worse for months so we finally decided he better have his tonsils and adenoids out. These pictures are from before his surgery. He was not looking quite so happy afterwards and I was too distraught to take "after" pictures. His surgery was delayed and we had to sit and wait for several hours but they had a Child Life Specialist there that kept Carter very entertained with stickers and a movie so it was ok.

During the surgery, they found that Carter has a large polyp growing out of his left cheek sinus. The surgeon did not remove it at the time because of concerns about how vascular it may be. This was, of course, very concerning to us and we will be following up later this month with a CT scan. This is probably what has been causing a lot of Carter's breathing problems so I feel bad that we put him through the tonsillectomy and all the pain from that for no reason. We wouldn't have known about the polyp otherwise though and now we can take care of the polyp which will probably require another, less painful, surgery.

1 comment:

Jordy and Paiger said...

I was not even aware of him getting his tonsils out, until about a week ago! I am such a horrible Aunt. Really, it's ok to say that I am....cause I am:) I am glad that they found that polyp! How scary! We need to skype more often. Love and miss you guys.