Friday, November 2, 2012

It's Great to Be 8!


Because Carter turned 8 this year, we let him have a birthday party. The above picture is the only one I have though because the party was a complete fiasco and I did not have a free hand to take any pictures.  I let him invite 5 friends. Two were a boy and girl from our ward who were just good as gold. The other 3 were boys from school and 2 of those boys were just completely out of control. I actually had to put one of them in time out. It was horrible and Carter didn't have that much fun either I don't think because he could tell I was stressed and wasn't really doing a good job keeping it fun for everyone. It probably would have been better to do it on a Saturday when Chad would have been there to help me or had had it earlier in the fall so we could have been outside or possibly just not letting any of my kids have birthday parties. Ever. No matter what.
Anyway, it's over and hopefully I don't get nasty emails from any of the parents.


Our family party that night was much better. Carter wanted a Waldorf Astoria Red Cake just like Grandpa Reynolds so I made the famous cake for him and then closed the kitchen for the rest of my life. After baking for Halloween, making Carter's favorite chocolate chip pumpkin muffins for his class, cupcakes and food for the party, and then the Red Cake, I was exhausted.


It was all worth it for these happy faces.



Carter received his very own monogrammed scriptures, a scripture case, a paper airplane book, and a special scripture marking pencil.  The pencil was a reward he's been looking forward to over the last 10 months as he's been working toward the goal of reading the Book of Mormon before his baptism.  He finished it a few days ago. I am so proud of him for doing it. He's been reading out loud to me and I asked him if he did Moroni's Promise to find out if the Book of Mormon is true and he told me, "Mom, I know it's true." It just made me cry. He's such a good boy.

3 comments:

Parrish Family said...

I can't believe that he is 8! It makes me feel old. :)

Melanie said...

He is such a cute, cute young man! The cake looks awesome, Grandpa Reynolds would be proud, probably is proud, I think. He has always been such a good kid . . . even when he was 4 and 5 yrs old we would have some really deep conversations. His spirituality is way beyond his years. Love him so much.

Tonya said...

Wend I just died laughing about Carter's party. Sorry it was stinky but that was so funny. I can't believe he's 8! Holy cow! What a sweet boy.