Thursday, June 19, 2008

Threes

What is the significance of the number three?

I am sure we can all come to similar or wildly different conclusions regarding the significance of three. In the secular realm, books and movies have trilogies. There is the rare event of having triplets. There are even three legged stools commonly used while milking cows. You've probably heard the phrase "three's a crowd" or witnessed the opposite in the old T.V. show "Three's Company". Three is the first prime number and the fourth in the Fibonacci sequence. In astronomy there are three types of galaxies. Then there are also the common threes: the three stooges, three musketeers, Three Doors Down, three strikes in baseball, three point line in basketball... I could go on in this vein, but you get the idea.

The spiritual side has it's dealings with three as well. The Three Witnesses to the Book of Mormon, Christ rose on the third day, the Godhead, Church presidencies or bishoprics, etc..

For most of the world things tend to come singularly or in pairs. I have two arms, two legs, two eyes, yet I am a singular person. Why threes?!

You are probably wondering what is Wendi going on about. First of all this is Chad. Secondly, you may have noticed that Wendi hasn't updated her blog for a while. Let me tell you the reasons.

1. The AC power adapter to the computer overheated and fried itself. Since there was no power, the battery went dead while I was working on my thesis. I ordered a new power adapter but the company sent the wrong one. I had to wait another day for the correct one to arrive.

2. After getting the power adapter, my computer was hijacked. Some virus took over my computer. The virus even had this screen saver with bugs that came out and ate whatever was on the screen. I couldn't get rid of it. Luckily my computer has a PC recovery partition on the hard drive. I was able to get rid of the virus this way.

3. After getting rid of the virus, I thought I was in the clear. Wrong! Like I said, three is a very tricky, mysterious number. Just when you think you have it all figured out, it smacks you up the back of the head saying, "That was only two you nitwit!" Three decided to peek it's head around the corner in the form of letting none of my applications work. Sure I had a running operating system but nothing worked. I finally had to resort to the fact that I needed to reinstall Windows and all the other hundred thousand applications. Luckily I had backups of my thesis so I didn't need to worry about rewriting that.

So... There you have it! My computer trouble must be over! Once you conquered three, it is like letting the steam out of a pressure cooker. "Keep thinking that way," I tell myself. But... there is always that shadow lurking in some dark alleyway. His name is Murphy, not to be confused with his friend Finagle, who is equally as divisive. Maybe you know them?

7 comments:

Sara B said...

Chad I really hope all your computer woes are over with- what a pain!!! good luck!

Jessica said...

I actually just had a class on bicultural/bilingual stuff and turns out that it is an "american" thing to do the whole 3's thing...in other countries it could be 5 or 7. Just a random tidbit for you1 How is the thesis coming?

Jessica :D

Lacey Allen said...

Wendi you have such a funny husnand! We are so lucky we married awesome men!

Rachel said...

Oh that stinks so bad! My mom always said household appliances died in sets of 3 (dishwasher, washer, and microwave in the same week or some other such disaster). Glad to see your computer problems are coming to a close and I'll hope that we can keep the vermin off our computer too.

Dean Family said...

I am so sorry- That is so hard- Good luck and let me know if you need ANYTHING!

Shane and Jamie Smith said...

That is no fun, hope the computer is treating you guys better now!! Hope all is well and that you are enjoying your summer!!!

Anonymous said...

Chad you are awesome that was a very witty entry that I enjoyed reading immensely. Mostly because it is humorously true. Seriously we have talked many times after attending the temple about the significance of three so that was fun to read. Thanks for adding in that you had saved your thesis because the entire article I was stressing your thesis and assumed you had saved it but I needed to read that part. And yeah… I knew you were writing that entry way before you said it was you I just could not see Wendi discussing the Fibonacci sequence in the blog. Not that you are not BRILLIANT Wendi I just could not picture it. Anyway I am super glad it is up and running again. Hope Murphy stays in the shadows.