Sunday, June 29, 2008

Darn Dog Days

With summer set in we needed some way to beat the heat... or just get the kids out of the house... namely Carter. So, we signed him up for swim lessons. Originally I was kind of hesitant about the idea since he screams at the top of his lungs when we get even a drop bath water in his face. With this kind of reaction to 6 inches of bath water I was naturally nervous about how he would react in 3 feet of water.

The first three days he went he didn't want to go back. I should mention here that the instructor did not want any parents hanging around the swimming pool waiting for their kids. She felt it was too distracting and the kids wouldn't learn, especially during this hard transition period. Everyday after lessons I would ask him, "What did you do today in swimming lessons?" He would only respond with an "I can't tell you", or an "I don't know", or just pretend he didn't hear what I had asked and change the subject. So I had no clue as to what his progress was or how he was taking the water. The only way I would find out about his progress is on his final day of swim lessons at the end of two weeks.

On the fourth day of swim lessons, his attitude started to change. He enjoyed everything about swimming except for putting on the sunscreen. His attitude continued to improve until his two weeks of lessons were over and I could see for myself what he had been doing. I was shocked, amazed, and altogether dumbfounded as to how this teacher got him used to the water.

Notice the bewildered look on the girl next to him. She seems to be thinking "How in the world does he breath under water? I would never stick my face in the water like that!"


Seeing how easy it was to put is face in the water, my little boy threw his hands behind his head to kick back in the pool.

He floats so well and the instructor rarely needs to support him. I am sooooo proud of him.

And the grand finale, jumping off the diving board into deeper waters. No fear? Where did it go? It's still there. As soon as I get him back in the tub he screams again if bath water gets in his face and I haven't even rubbed soap in his eyes yet.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

YAY Carter...being on the end of the lifeguard I understand why you were "KICKED" out....the worst thing ever is having a child react b/c they know mom or dad will help them...so its just easier to get it all done without a parent there and then show off the star of the show at the end of the lessons! Also a side note don't ever let him plug his nose! I always get so mad when I work with a kid teaching them to breathe under water (which is possible) and not plug their nose and all of it goes by the wayside the instant the mom or dad see's them and says "be sure to plug your nose". Anyway tell Carter he will be a little fish in no time! :D

Rachel said...

That is so awesome!!! I wanted to put Savanna in this summer but thought we'd be moving sooner...grr, should of just done it! But that is so cool that he is so brave! Love the pics of his face in the water too, wow!

Unknown said...

That's awesome! I can't believe how big he is...last I remember I was going to your baby shower! My how time flies...

Anonymous said...

What great pictures! That was fun to read I love when they surprise you and themselves by accomplishing something like that.

Rachel Seren said...

My kids are similar in their desire to put their heads under the water. They both start two weeks of swim lessons next week. They don't allow the parents in the water as well. I hope they are able to achieve the same things.

Dean Family said...

So cute and how fun!!! He is doing great!