This weekend for Spring Break we took a trip to Mystic, CT. We had heard there was a fun aquarium there and it did not disappoint. The kids had so much fun seeing all the sea life. Eli's favorite was definitely the Beluga whales. When we got there first thing in the morning before there were a lot of people, the whales really interacted with the kids through the glass. The juvenile whale even swam up to the glass and seemed to give Eli a kiss. It was amazing. We went to the aquarium all morning on Friday and left for lunch and a nap for Eli because there were over 7,000 people there and it was getting way too crowded. Carter and Kate swam at the hotel and then when Eli woke up, we went back to the aquarium for a few hours. Carter's favorite thing was getting to touch the sting rays and I think Kate enjoyed getting to pet a shark the most.
This is the picture where the Beluga whale was giving Eli a kiss. Unfortunately, Carter was standing in the way of the picture. It was so unexpected so we didn't have a great shot at a picture.
Eli looking at the penguins.
Carter petting the sting rays. Kate was too scared to try.
On Saturday, the kids wanted to go back to the aquarium. Our tickets were good for 3 days so we took advantage of that and went back first thing in the morning. It was great because we beat the crowds and that's when the Belugas were so interactive with the kids. There was hardly anyone there and the kids were able to pet the sting rays and sharks again. There was also a Titanic exhibit that was really cool and we all enjoyed seeing that. When you first walked in it was all dark with stars in the ceiling and Eli kept saying, "It's amazing!"
We left the aquarium at about 11 and went to the Mystic Seaport Village. In the early 1800s Mystic was a big whaling and fishing port and they have restored the old houses, church, school and shipbuilding yard. They also had a children's building with dress ups, dollhouse boats and a little mini port with toy boats to play with. The kids had so much fun. It was way past lunch and nap time but none of them complained or asked for food. The only thing they complained about was the stinky smell of the ocean. They really enjoyed the day I think.
It was so beautiful there and the ground was white with crushed clam shells. Instead of wood chips to cover the ground they used crushed shells. It was really misty there all day and it made me wonder if that's why it was called Mystic. Hmmm.
We left around 2:30 with hungry bellies and sore feet from walking so much. Although we have had a hard time adjusting to life here on the East Coast we have definitely been able to see and do things we never would have otherwise.






















4 comments:
Wonderful adventure. I'm so jealous of you doing this without me, but really glad that you had the chance. The kids look good, you look good, I think Chad probably looks good too! I loved every single picture and will look at them many, many times. I miss you all, but I'm really grateful that you are enjoying experiencing things that we never would have imagined you would. Love you, each and every one, with all my heart!
Wow. What a great adventure. Loved all the pictures. I hope the whale spit Carter out. There weren't anymore pictures after that. I don't think he would make for a very tasty whale meal. And it's a good thing Kate has taken swimming lessons. Eli is getting so grown up. He looks like a little man. Thanks for posting all the pictures. It is so fun to see you all having fun together.
I love you all. Grandma B
You look so skinny, and lovely, and happy, and skinny.
Your children look ENORMOUS. Why are you letting them grow up?
What a fun trip! I am so jealous. It looks like you guys had a great time!!
Post a Comment