Thursday, July 17, 2008

Loss

Today has been a hard day. It is 2:00am and I am just getting home from work but I can't go to bed until I get some thoughts written down. My sister-in-law, Angie's, niece drowned last night. She was only 14 years old and it is a very great loss. I know it seems a remote relation to me but Angie is my sister and this niece is very close to her. I went over today as soon as they all got home from Bear Lake and it was a horrible scene of pain. Everyone was crying and just looking so lost. I went with the intention to help and be strong, bringing some food. However, the minute I pulled up and saw the grief I just lost it. It is a mother's worst nightmare.
How many times everyday do I get mad at Chad and the kids - sometimes even just wishing they would go away for awhile. I should count every moment with them as a privilege. Life is so fragile and can be gone in an instant. I cannot take them for granted. I thought I learned that lesson when my Dad died but it is just so easy to forget and be wrapped up in myself. Love your kids. Love your spouse. Love your family. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away but we are all His. I know we can be an eternal family and that this little girl is safe and loved on the other side. It is just sad for those left behind. I just hope that I can be strong enough to endure whatever trials I am called to have in this life and I hope that the last words any of my loved ones hear from me is, "I love you."

9 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm sorry...I can only imagine how hard this must be for you. I am also thankful that families are forever and that I can see my family again one day. Is there anything that I can do for you? I would volunteer to take your kids for a little bit, but I'm an hour and a half away now. Keep your head up! We all have bad days and times that we wish everyone would leave us alone, but in the end we all can be forgiven and know that love is binding!

Jess :D

Rachel said...

Oh my goodness Wendi!! That is horrible and I'm so sorry for your family to have to deal with such a tragic thing. My prayers will be with you!

Jordy and Paiger said...

oh my goodness. That is so heartbreaking. I always find myself loving my family and what I have, so much more, when unforntunate things like that happen to another family. Oh my heart goes out to the family. What a horrible thing. I hope you are ok and doing well. Love you

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for those amazing words Wendi. I am truly sorry this happened and even if you lost it they did need your support and you gave it. I cried just reading your post from loving you and hearing your sadness I can only imagine being there with a sister. Once again I appreciate you sharing your thoughts with all of us who need to hear them.

Tonya said...

aw Wendi . . . I love you! :)

Josh and Ashlee said...

That is so sad... As a mother it makes the pain all the more real. What a terrible thing for anyone to have to go through and even though they'll be able to see her again, I bet they still will miss her terribly. My best friends sister died 2 years ago unexpectedly and left behind 2 little girls. The night before she passed away, her and her husband had an argument so she slept on the couch. When her husband came down to go to work the next morning he found her. Stories like these really make you never want to fight with your family, just in case those are the last words or actions you will remember. Let me know if you need anything. I miss you!

Rachel Seren said...

It is such a hard thing to lose a child. My thoughts are with you and your sister. It's amazing how easily we forget and take our loved ones for grantide. Thanks for the reminder.

Rachel Seren said...

Just a quick note, I saw the gorgeous pics of you and your family! You are so gorgeous!

Lacey Allen said...

Wendi I am so sorry... I know how tough if is to loose a family member. Time is about the only thing that helps. You have a wise outlook on how to cherrish your family, I think we all forget and take our family for granted, and it is good for us to remember that we are here for only a short time and we should savor ever day we have together as a family, because it ends all too soon. Thank you for a very spiritual post.