Saturday, November 22, 2008

Give Thanks


Are you familiar with Martha Stewart Living? Well, I think it should be called Martha Stewart Guilt. I was reading the magazine this week and all I felt was guilt. Should I be cooking with artisan unsalted butter and imported hand-ground cocoa? Is my food really tasteless and bland because I buy my ingredients at the local grocery store? Will my loved ones feel sad when the gift I give them has a plastic ribbon on it instead of a starched satin bow? Will my tree fall over if I use the same decorations from the previous five years and I have no gold spray-painted roses? Will Thanksgiving be a flop if I serve Stove Top and we use paper plates?

Frankly, I think all us joe-schmoe-ettes should just boycott Martha and embrace our normalacy. Thank you cream-of-anything soup and frozen popcorn chicken. You are my friends and I am happy that way. Thank you.

8 comments:

Emily Gilgen said...

LOL. I love you Wendi. Don't worry, even when you make things with fancy ingredients or fancy ribbons, most people don't notice the difference and then YOU are disappointed.

Tonya said...

you are so funny. I totally agree. MArtha is just bad for any woman's health.

ashley said...

Oh my word......not only the guilt about the food, but how about the handed scripted calligraphy invites or the dang napkin holders with acorn dangles on them?? I can't keep us with that kind of pressure.

Now, with your expertise Wendi, should we be using styrofoam or thick paper for our Thanksgiving plates?? I want to do this Joe-Shmoe thing right!!!!

You crack me up!!!!!!!

Rachel said...

You are so great! How hilarious. I'm lucky I get the dishes done and a tree up at all let alone spraying it all with a thick layer of glitter. Embrace your normalcy Wendi!!

Rana said...

Yes, I agree Wendi, except I like frozen cheese sticks too, and some times I even bother warming up spaghetti sauce to dip them in. yumm :D

Red & Lyss said...

Well said Wendi!

D and H fam said...

You said it girl - that is so awesome!!!

Debbye said...

K, I am so BEHIND in reading blogs or writing them for that matter.

This made me laugh so hard, and feel a bit better. When our kids are all safely graduated from high school,maybe you and I can finally have that Martha Stewart dinner party.

Eh, forget it. I hate doing dishes! Let's just make the Olive Garden doit for us!

Love ya!