Sunday, December 4, 2011

Eli's Birthday and A Christmas Tree


Happy 2nd birthday to our little Eli!  On Saturday we had a fun-filled day starting with our ward Christmas party brunch.  The ward had a cute nativity video using pictures they took of the primary kids a few weeks ago.  There is a link on youtube if you just type in Hanover Ward Nativity 2011.  It was really cute.  Kate was one of the sheep and Carter was the donkey.
After the ward party I surprised Carter and Kate by taking them to see a shortened version of the Nutcracker ballet.  Kate loved it and clapped vigorously but I think Carter only tolerated it.  It definitely wasn't Ballet West but it was a fun little outing with mom.


When we got home from the ballet, we took off for Vermont to cut our Christmas tree.  It was a lot easier than our usual excursion up a canyon in the snow.  We just had to drive to a Christmas tree farm, walk out in the field and cut it down.  There wasn't even any snow but boy, was it cold!  We had to hurry too because you know, it was 4:00 and bordering on total darkness.  It was actually completely dark by the time we got home.  The tree is different from our usual Idaho, mountain, Charlie Brown-type tree too but maybe in a good way.  It is a tradition Chad doesn't really love but one that I fiercely hang on to....

 After we got the tree we came home to have pizza for Eli's birthday dinner.  He didn't really tell me what he wanted for his birthday dinner so I just guessed and made something I know he likes.  I also made him a chocolate cake with chocolate frosting since he LOVES chocolate.  I put some little trucks on top since he also loves trucks.  One of the trucks was a backhoe and another was a dump truck so I dug a little hole in the cake and put the "dirt" cake in the back of the dump truck.  Carter was like, "Wow Mom! How did you do that?"  Whoa, it was so hard and took like two seconds.  I guess the cakes I make fast are just as good or even better than the ones I spend hours on.  I'm just trying not to think of the amazing cake I made for Carter's second birthday.  Poor, third child, Eli.

 He thought the cake was pretty neat and enjoyed all the gifts he got was well.  we gave him a mini bee pillow pet.  Grandma and Papa B gave him Clifford the Big Red Dog with his friend, T-Bone and a book.  Grandma R. gave him four pop-up bug books (you know like, Snow Bugs, Birthday Bugs, Beach Bugs, and Peek-a-Boo Bugs).  He loved all his gifts.  I'm so glad it's so easy to please a two-year-old.
 Here he is enjoying his chocolate cake and "cream creams" (ice cream).
We love you so much little Boolie.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

He looks so grown up in this picture. It's amazing how much he has changed in the three months since I've seen him in person. He is cute, cute, cute, and cute again! So glad you got to surprise the kids. Knowing Carter, he probably liked it a lot, but just won't tell you. If that's the tree behind the kids in the tree farm picture - it's beautiful. NH here I come! Ten days and counting!

Mary said...

Happy birthday to you little Eli ! :*:*