Wednesday, December 7, 2011

School Time

Since there is a serious lack of acceptable preschools here, I am just doing a little preschool at home for Kate. Oh how I miss Teacher Jill...
Since I don't really know what I'm doing, we just pretend. No, really, we are reviewing letters which is pretty easy for Kate and working on writing them correctly. We are also really working on numbers since Kate can count out loud past 20 easily but has a hard time recognizing written numbers greater than 10. Actually, she kind of has an aversion to the number 10 as well. I have a hard time not getting frustrated but I'm trying to keep it fun and low key so she won't hate math for the rest of her life. Then we practice things like rhyming and then just do a craft or color. Eli loves to join in and I teach him a little on the side. He's actually getting pretty good at recognizing colors and counting too. It is a nice time for us to spend together twice a week.


A funny thing Eli did yesterday: He's into having me give him a hand to pull him up so he was laying on the kitchen floor saying, "Hand, mama. Hand." I was pretty much ignoring him though because I was busy so he got up, walked over to me and brought me back to his spot on the floor. Laid back down and put up his hand. "Hand, mama. Hand." What a character.



4 comments:

Melanie said...

Wish you had your video camera going for that Eli incident! It could make you rich beyond your wildest dreams! That is so, so, so, so, so funny. I hope Kate doesn't go in the reverse direction when I do school with her when you are working. I know I'm not as organized as you - you know it too. Better write me some lesson plans. Such a smart and pretty little girl. Love the post!

Rachel Seren said...

I love that he pulled you back and sat back down. Such a fun age! We also have a terrible lack of preschools that aren't daycares here. I taught all my kids preschool and I am always amazed at how the younger ones who are there because they have to be, end up learning just as much.

Tara said...

I read your blog all the time but I always forget to comment. I'm glad Eli had a great little birthday, I can't believe he's already 2! And Kate is such a girl, loving the Nutcracker show you took her to. I miss you and your little family!! I told Mel when she's out there that we all need to skype. I'm planning on it!

Alena said...

What a great mom! That's awesome Wendi :)